Re: [glob2-devel] the beginning of mac OS X development

From: Kyle Lutze
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] the beginning of mac OS X development
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 14:19:25 -0700

Kai Antweiler wrote:
well, since I'm having some major issues due to autotools, what about
after Bradley finishes the new unit allocation system, we release it
as a 1.0 public release, and then do a complete rewrite using a
different building system?

I vote:  yes, except for the version number.
I am agaist 1.0 without having our network code fixed.
Stephs numbering scheme 1, 2, 3 is much better.
It does not suggest anything about stability.
It does not say it is stable.
It does not say it is unstable.

Complete rewrite sounds harsh.  I'd assume you can exchange autotools
without having to dig deep into glob2 code.

In case you meant rewriting the whole of glob2.
This would (should and will) take a whole lot of time.
Probably as long as it took to write glob2 in the first place.

With the rewrite we can also work on making it easy to develop from
any system and I plan on doing some major help with the documentation
that will work with doxygen which I've been studying.

Can you explain the essentials of doxygen documentation somewhere
sometime.

http://www.stack.nl/~dimitri/doxygen/docblocks.html

Would it also be
worth switching to subversion at the same time? Or do you guys like
cvs more?

Savannah does not support subversion yet.  The software they use does
support it.  And one maintainer tried a test project.
As soon as they'll support it we should change.
But there are better systems than subversion ...

I said subversion because xcode has more support for subversion than any other scm system, don't ask me why. Forgot to mention the ulterior motives :P