Re: [glob2-devel] A lot of small changes.

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] A lot of small changes.
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 17:47:59 +0200

On Wednesday 04 April 2007 17:22:30 Shawn Anderson wrote:
> IMHO it is already complex on this point. Can some explain to me why
> calling method foo<UInt8>() is any better/faster than calling fooUInt8()?
> (my C++ is not the greatest) This seems like a place where it "was cool" to
> use templates, but it didn't help with readability or speed.  I could be
> wrong on the speed.  I'm not too great with templates, but my college is
> and he said "he had never seen templates used like this, and does that even
> compile?"

You can write method foo once far all, and the compiler can then optimize it
for each type.

> If it was done for some significant speed increase cool, just note the
> gcc3.3 on mac will not work.  Otherwise, you could just change it back to
> the way it used to be with three method names instead one regular method
> and two templated version.

If it's there it's either for speed and to avoid code duplication ; both are
very good reasons.

> Congrats to everyone on the release btw.  Who is in charge with building
> for OS X? If there is documentation somewhere, I'd love to try and package
> it up for OS X.

No one is in charge of anything basically, it's self organisation.

Steph

--
http://people.epfl.ch/stephane.magnenat