Re: [glob2-devel] more SCons questions

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] more SCons questions
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 15:09:21 +0100

Hi,

> > I'm looking at diverse SConstruct towards the goal of building the deb.
> > Yet
> > there is undocumented code whose reason of existance is not obvious for
> > me:
> > - in main SConstruct, why does PackTar have case for files beginning with
> > "/",
> > this does not happen in glob2?
>
> This is for directories->files, like, src/File.cpp, it has to consider the
> directory portion separately.

I still do not understand the tar part. env.Install() seems to do everything
correctly, so I do not understand why you don't simply install everything in
the rep to be tared and tar it later. Is it because you need to call Tar
which is something that, executed after all the installs, will make the tar
file? I haven't found Tar() in SCons documentation.

If I understand correctly, nothing gets executed until main() is called at the
end of SConstruct? If so, and if I want to build a deb using env.Install(), I
must make sure the deb building command gets executed afterwards. The web
page I found about making debs does seems to do it another way, by executing
commands from SConscript, using Copy() and not using the deferred mechanism.

It would help a lot if you (I presume you are the authors of those scripts)
could document them a bit.

> - why is "dist" and "install" targets considered together? I imagine that
> it
>
> > is to iterate on files only once but that reduce readability, specially
> > because there is a test in PackTar to exclude the non "dist" case.
>
> That seems odd. That was likely accidental, or without thinking.

Do you plan to change it?

> - path seems to be concatenated by hand, shouldn't we use os.path.join() ?
>
> That works just the same.

The doc seems to say that in special cases, for instance on windows, it
behaves better; anyway I imagine we have no such case.

Thanks!

Have a nice day,

Steph

--