[Gluster-devel] online resizing of backend storage

From: August R. Wohlt
Subject: [Gluster-devel] online resizing of backend storage
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 10:23:50 -0400

Hi glusterfs hackers,

In my server setup, I am exporting ext3 volumes as posix bricks to my
glusterfs clients. The ext3 volumes I am exporting are living on top of LVM
logical volumes. I like to grow these logical volumes and their
corresponding ext3 file system often. So one day if I do a df on the client,
I might see a 200G volument, but the next day this is grown to 300G. I have
never restarted the client or server after doing this, and so far I haven't
seen any issues. When I am doing this, when I do a df on the client, it sees
the new size and is happy.

I would like to ask those of you more familiar with the code if there is any
internal representation of the size of the server brick that might get
confused if I resize the underlying file system, or is resizing quite
alright (as long as i'm increasing, not decreasing the storage available to
the server brick) without restarting anything.

thanks!
:goose