[Gm2] Re: Modula-2 news

From: john o goyo
Subject: [Gm2] Re: Modula-2 news
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 15:54:31 -0400

Greetings:

Gaius Mulley wrote:
Hi,

As there has been little traffic on the mailing list I thought I'd
outline a few items of Modula-2 news and areas currently being worked
upon. I'm currently deep in the middle of bringing the GM2 front end
up to gcc-4.1.0. I'd like to pursue pushing into the GCC mainline tree
(although this could be some way off.. read much work :-).

How would this effect the boot-strapping p2c?

Another motivation for bringing GM2 upto gcc-4.1.0 is so that GM2
can target the AVR embedded microprocessors - an area where Modula-2
should excel imho..

Your worthy opinion reminds of where I first read about Modula-2. The old Byte magazine had a hardware column called "Ciarcia's Circuit Cellar" written by Steve Ciarcia. One project dealt with building a wee computer with a microprocessor -- the 8051, I believe -- and he positively gushed about a new language that he just learned about, namely Modula-2. He cross-compiled the code on a CP/M box with Turbo Modula-2 and moved it over. (Well, he may used dual-ported RAM -- I cannot really remember.) He was quite happy with the results.

Sincerely,
john

Also the Modula-2 language patches for gdb have been overhauled and
are about to be applied to the mainline gdb cvs tree which should
reduce the inconvenience of maintaining patches relative to gdb
versions etc.

Finally, is anyone going to the GCC developers conference in Ottawa?