Re: [Gnash-dev] Memory allocation model?

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Memory allocation model?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:54:04 +0100

[gnash-dev put back for general interest]

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 10:44:49PM +0100, Michael Meier wrote:

> > libtool --mode=execute valgrind ../../gui/gnash -1 -r0 -v String.swf 2> ERR
>
> Thanks, did this.

we might still have problems with the above, see
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?18341

> This is the output with String.swf checking and though calling my new
> methods.
> ==5502== LEAK SUMMARY:
> ==5502==    still reachable: 103180 bytes in 151 blocks.

> And this is without:
> ==5451== LEAK SUMMARY:
> ==5451==    still reachable: 94884 bytes in 151 blocks.
..
> So I guess it does nasty things? :/

Not necessarly, as the allocated memory is *still reachable*
(there are pointers to them)

First of all run with GLIBCPP_FORCE_NEW=1 set in the environment.
This will make sure libstdc++ (assuming you're using the GNU version)
won't keep memory allocated on delete.

Second, you implemented something new, so you're likely returning
String values in the environment, so I'd expect more memory to
be used there (more ActionScript variables will have real values rather
then being undefined).

As long as no *suppressed* errors reported you're doing nothing nasty.