Re: [Gnash-dev] GUI-specific configuration

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] GUI-specific configuration
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 11:20:37 -0700

Udo Giacomozzi wrote:

> .gnashrc is XML based?

  No, I wanted to make the user config file more easily edited by hand,
so I didn't use XML for it. Most normal people find XML too complex and
verbose. You can look at the XML.as and XMLNode.as testcases for how to
use XML, plus it follows the Flash spec as well. Basically each node
becomes an object in the Flash VM, which you can walk through using
ActionScript to extract the settings. What you're talking about is
potentially very simple XML, like maybe:

<GNASH>
  <GUI>
    <SETTING1>on</SETTING1>
    <SETTING2>13</SETTING2>
        ...etc...
  </GUI>
</GNASH>

  It'd only need to get parsed once, when Gnash starts and the gui
initializes. You could also use the File I/O extension, but the nice
thing about using XML is it would work in an unextended player exactly
the same. Since I think you're embedded Gnash onto your own hardware,
using an extended Gnash is totally acceptable, so just reading a simple
file of any kind would work.

  This is one of the main reasons I added the File I/O extension. For
embedded platforms, better access to the hardware makes total sense as
long as you can do it in a secure manner. Currently there is no security
wrapped around the File I/O extension, it's on the TODO list. I've been
using the File I/O extension for handling stdin/stdout for a terminal
based remote debugging console for Gnash.

  The server side support isn't quite all finished yet, but RSN I'll
have a networked remote client (written in ActionScript) that lets you
debug Flash movies while they're running. :-) Eventually I'll add a
Flash-GTK GUI to the client end. The remote debugger protocol is XML
based, btw. I figure it'll force me to clean up the old bugs in
XMLSocket. :-) (which is currently broken) I've discovered the debugger
is very useful, even in it's limited state.