Re: [Gnash-dev] sprite_instance::restart() and properties

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] sprite_instance::restart() and properties
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:45:22 +0200

On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 02:21:50PM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
> Hello strk,
>
> Thursday, April 19, 2007, 2:13:42 PM, you wrote:
> >> I *think* it should restore the state of the character in which it was
> >> after creation (or after it has been placed on a display list).
>
> s> Does this mean also calling onLoad and onConstruct events ?
> s> What about frame init actions ?
>
> million dollar question...
> as long restart() is intended to be the same as destroy/create, then
> yes.

We decide what is it intended for.
I wouldn't use a special function to mimic destroy/create
I'd rather actually destroy and create instead.
If that's all we need we might even trash the 'restart' method.

> s> Why not really recreating it ?
>
> probably to avoid useless re-initialisation of the character.
> don't know if there really is any (any useless I mean)

I don't think it'd be a bottleneck ..

> s> Do we need to retain syntetized instance names ?
>
> in case of buttons: no
> but again, restart() may be designed for other purposes!

restart is currenlty *only* used by GUI and buttons.
Oh, there's a use in DisplayList::replace_character
but I don't think it makes any sense as character feed to
that function are always just-created.

> s> I can describe what the function does, but I'm not sure it makes sense,
> s> we're not reverse engeneering Gnash itself :)
>
> does it come from gameswf? somebody must have created this beast after
> all

It was in gameswf, and I modified it for fixing some button stuff
when we were looking at it togheter. Then I used it for GUI.
We never provided automated testcases  for button, so for me we
can safely trash everything as I assume everything is still broken
until we have automatic testcases showing the contrary.

> s> I used ::restart for the GUI menu item MovieControl->Restart.
> s> Might be a completely wrong thing to do and we might instead
> s> remove the top-level movie and recreate from scratch instead.
>
> which *maybe* has the same effect...

Surely won't trash builtin getter-setters and is likely to do
some other needed initialization.

> note there is no such command in the propriertary player (rewind does
> *not* destroy variables)

Good to know.