Re: [Gnash-dev] Proposal: Bittorrent support for Gnash

From: Rene Bartsch
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Proposal: Bittorrent support for Gnash
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 02:27:31 +0100 (CET)

> Surely its better to make a BitTorrent client that has proper set of
> default settings? :-)

With "proper set" I meant that the user only can/has to set up maximum
upstream/downstream bandwith and the maximum number of connections his
router can handle (for which sensible defaults should be used). Everything
else should be preset with sensible values or calculated by relations and
only be for internal use in Gnash but not for manipulation by the user.

And I don't think users like an extra client where they have to add the
URL, wait two hours for the download and open the media file manually with
an media player. That's just what users DON'T want!

> Most people will run Gnash as a web browser plugin, so if this was
> done, the client will be stopped and started all the time, and there
> would not be many seeds.

I'd suggest either an extra background process which isn't killed when the
plugin is closed or an extra daemon. The disadvantage of the background
process would be that it doesn't survive a reboot and seeding can only be
restarted when the user opens the browser.

The Videgor network (www.videgor.net, research project of the university
of Karlsruhe, Germany) interconnects VideoDiskRecorders
(http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr) with each other for sharing recordings. The
authors have stated that the recordings can be shared in realtime if the
VDRs have about 4 MBit/s bandwith available (average rate of a DVB
transmission). To realize this, a daemon called IGOR is used (which uses
the thread approach I've proposed to you) and the plugins for the VDR
software connect to the IGOR daemon.

Have Phun,

Renne