Re: [Gnash-dev] About Buttons

From: Sandro Santilli
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] About Buttons
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 12:16:47 +0200

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 11:48:27AM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
> Hello Sandro,
>
> Tuesday, April 15, 2008, 11:03:57 AM, you wrote:
> SS>  - The comparison between old and new active characters
> SS>    triggering a set_invalidated call is bogus. set_invalidated
> SS>    would still be called if any newly active character was
> SS>    not in the old active character list, or if number of newly
> SS>    active characters is smaller then old active characters...
>
> In short: That code is correct.

Confirmed, committed a cleanup and commentary of that code.

> SS>  - Not currently active characters are still advanced. So if
> SS>    a sprite active on mouse over consists of a moving thing,
> SS>    the thing would keep moving while still not visible, and
> SS>    all frame actions of that character would still be executed
> SS>    (would that be correct?).
>
> Can you check this with P.P.?

Eh, need a test for this. I'm just saying that this is what Gnash
does (still advances them).

> SS>    As a side-effect, when these not-currently-active characters
> SS>    get invalidated the button gets child-invalidated too.
>
> Correct, altough add_invalidated_bounds() will only add the bounds
> for visible characters. However, add_invalidated_bounds() doesn't
> even need to be called in that case. (the resulting bounds are still
> correct, but the check is useless).
>
> Errrr.. where get the instances advanced? There is no *advance()* !? :-O

In the current timeline design the ::advance step is not done on the
stage tree but on a global list of "live" characters.
Characters register with this list using movie_root::addLiveChar and
never explicitly unregister.
Instead, the movie_root would drop those marked as "unloaded".
All not-unloaded chars in that list are advanced by movie_root::advance.

> SS>  - The generic get_active_characters() method includes a check
> SS>    for the "HIT" character, which I belive should never
> SS>    displayed if its only state is "HIT".
>
> Never displayed? Why? HIT is when you keep pressed a button...

You sure ? Isn't it just the HIT area so taht you can have
an invisible "alone" around the button representing its hit area ?
See testsuite/misc-ming.all/ButtonEventTest.{c,swf}.
The HIT character should be a black square...