Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash0.8.2 memory usage improvement on ARMv6 -- seeking

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash0.8.2 memory usage improvement on ARMv6 -- seeking support
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:05:34 -0600

Hong Yu wrote:

> 'std::bad_alloc' message, indicating that it consumes out 120MB and more
> memory. Therefore we wish to improve Gnash0.8.2's performance for ARM.
> Would anyone have suggestions and/or clues on how we can gradually
> achieve the goal of improving Gnash for low level platform(s)? Thanks.

  I'm about to check in (after testing on the build farm) a modified
version of the jemalloc() replacement for the system malloc. My initial
testing shows it reduces bloat considerably, while increasing
performance. Mozilla and Abode are using it to, so it seemed a good
idea. Testing shows it does look as good as promised. As I'm about to do
a port to a new 266Mhz ARM system with only 64M, I figured this would
come in handy.