[Gnash-dev] Cygnal gets RTMPT

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Cygnal gets RTMPT
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 17:50:39 -0700

A while ago I stumbled across the Red5 'echo_test', which sends a
variety of AMF data types via RTMPT (HTTP) and RTMP. Some of the data is
nice and complex, arrays of mixed types, run length encoded arrays, all
sorts of perverted stuff great for testing both encoding and decoding.

I grabbed a hex dump of the entire thing, and turned it into about 80
new test cases for Gnash/Cygnal. :-) After a little network hacking,
Cygnal handles the server side of RTMPT fine now, encoding & decoding
the AMF data where it needs to. I mimic the Red5 echo server side
support when Cygnal sees "/echo/gateway" in an HTTP POST message. We
should also be able to use this for testing the client side of RTMP(T)
in Gnash as it takes shape. If I borrow a laptop from a visiting kid, it
works just fine with the other plugin. It'll be nice when the client
side fully works with Gnash (the test case is swf v9) with Cygnal on the
server side.

Along with this, Cygnal is now serving up files via HTTP as well, so
it's now starting to lurch into functioning in the rtmp branch. I need
to clean up a few things before migrating these latest improvements to
trunk, but that's next on the TODO list, followed by bringing the
disabled RTMP support back to life now that RTMPT works good. At that
point Cygnal will be a minimally functionally media server.