Re: [Gnash-dev] Plugin and codec error messages on YouTube

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Plugin and codec error messages on YouTube
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 13:49:43 -0800

> But when I started up firefox some flash comes up quickly (within a few
> seconds), some pages hang for 15 to 30 pages (hang firefox so firefox
> buttons don't work and won't redraw in X11). But then some videos start
> playing if you wait about 90 seconds. I tested going to a few Google

If you go to a page that contains lots of Flash movies, it takes a
while to start them all.  That's probably a lot of the variable delay
you're seeing.

It really helps to run NoScript (Firefox menu: Tools -> Add-ons -> Get
Add-ons, and search for it), which can prevent flash movies from
starting until you click on them.  This avoids the long delays.

One of these days, someone will work on speeding up gnash startup.
Perhaps you!

        John