[Gnash-dev] switching browser plugins dynamically

From: Colin Macdonald
Subject: [Gnash-dev] switching browser plugins dynamically
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 01:09:12 -0700

Hi,

My apologies if this is something that has come up before...

Is it possible to have both the Gnash browser plugin and the
proprietary plugin installed, and select dynamically between them on
page load?  Ideally, when I loaded a webpage, I could click on "Play"
(i.e., in Gnash) or "<small>throw away my freedom, use non-free
plugin</small>".  Like "flashblock" but with two buttons.

I think this might be useful for debugging and for attracting new
users to Gnash.

Is it a matter of writing a firefox extension?  I.e., could an
extension select between "libgnashplugin.so" and "libflashplugin.so"?

I grepped the source of flashblock but it doesn't mention the
"libflashplugin.so" anywhere...

Searching brought up some Ubuntu feature requests which are similar:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/7209/
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/12565/

Slightly related is this browser extension:
http://www.sephiroth.it/firefox/flash_switcher/
(but it seems to require restarting the browser).

thanks,
Colin

--
Colin Macdonald