Re: [Gnash-dev] switching browser plugins dynamically

From: dolphinling
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] switching browser plugins dynamically
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 01:46:28 -0400

Colin Macdonald wrote:
Hi,

My apologies if this is something that has come up before...

Is it possible to have both the Gnash browser plugin and the
proprietary plugin installed, and select dynamically between them on
page load?  Ideally, when I loaded a webpage, I could click on "Play"
(i.e., in Gnash) or "<small>throw away my freedom, use non-free
plugin</small>".  Like "flashblock" but with two buttons.

[...]

Slightly related is this browser extension:
http://www.sephiroth.it/firefox/flash_switcher/
(but it seems to require restarting the browser).

I don't know about the first, but in firefox on linux to switch between flash/gnash you can simply change what's in the plugin directory, make sure no flash is currently running, and visit the page about:plugins (or view the plugins tab of the addons dialog). Automating that shouldn't be too hard, and shouldn't require restarting the browser.

The first would be nice, but is probably more a browser-dependent question, something you'd need to ask on a firefox (or whatever browser) list.

--
dolphinling
<http://dolphinling.net/>