Re: [Gnash-dev] Media Handler

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Media Handler
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:17:04 -0600

On 07/14/10 11:49, Benjamin Wolsey wrote:

> Packaging may be broken.

  :-( Bummer... Guess I get to go fix it... My guess is now each media
handler will also need it's own package, so people can install with
ffmpeg or gstreamer (or both) support. The advantage now being a
splitting up of dependencies for packages.

> xv is probably broken, but I can't trigger any bugs. I'm not even sure
> it is activated, although it's certainly compiled in.

  XV is already broken, it compiles OK, just give no real performance
improvement. So this isn't a big problem.

> I hacked configure as much as I could and it works for me, but I'm not
> really very good at autotools. If there are any bugs I apologize in
> advance.

  I'll go over the configure changes. Usually the problems are getting
it working on multiple platforms. Is this checked in or in a branch still ?

> It would be great if the same factory design could be used for
> renderers. This is horribly difficult because of the amount of glues and
> guis, but it would make renderer selection vastly easier.

  I was actually looking at this yesterday, and think it may be easier
than at first thought. As I've been playing with OpenVG and OpenGL-ES,
in a branch, I was debating whether it was time to fix this also and
make renderers dynamically loadable. The bigger question I didn't answer
was whether it would be be better to do it now, or wait till after the
next release.