Re: [Gnash-dev] Truly bizarre warning in compiling LineStyle.cpp

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Truly bizarre warning in compiling LineStyle.cpp
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 08:20:26 +0200

> >   CXX    LineStyle.lo
> > FillStyle.h: In member function ‘void
> > gnash::LineStyle::read(gnash::SWFStream&, gnash::SWF::TagType,
> > gnash::movie_definition&, const gnash::RunResources&)’:
> > FillStyle.h:274: warning: dereferencing pointer ‘<anonymous>’ does
> > break strict-aliasing rules
> > /usr/include/boost/variant/detail/cast_storage.hpp:33: note: initialized
> > from here
> > FillStyle.h: In member function ‘void
> > gnash::LineStyle::read_morph(gnash::SWFStream&, gnash::SWF::TagType,
> > gnash::movie_definition&, const gnash::RunResources&, gnash::LineStyle*)’:
> > FillStyle.h:274: warning: dereferencing pointer ‘<anonymous>’ does
> > break strict-aliasing rules
> > /usr/include/boost/variant/detail/cast_storage.hpp:33: note: initialized
> > from here
> > FillStyle.h:274: warning: dereferencing pointer ‘<anonymous>’ does
> > break strict-aliasing rules
> > /usr/include/boost/variant/detail/cast_storage.hpp:33: note: initialized
> > from here
> >
> > So, bizarre things:
> >
> >   *  The source file and line number in error is never mentioned.
> >   *  The warning is on FillStyle.h:274 which is the innocuous Return line
> > in:

I get a similar warning on only one version of GCC (4.4.4, I think),
only with an even sillier line number (the final closing namespace
bracket of a source file). It's certainly a compiler bug for that reason
alone, and I think the warning itself is also a bug.

Ultimately line styles should probably be able to store a whole fill
style, so there would be no need for this code anyway.

bwy

--
Free Flash, use Gnash
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/