Re: [Gnash-dev] Removal candidates

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Removal candidates
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 21:27:43 +0100

>   I don't barely understand this urge to remove code from Gnash that
> works. As one of the 4 software freedoms is the freedom to run code on
> any hardware you choose, these GUIs allow that. Now that OS/2 users have
> no support as of earlier today, I assume Haiku is next.

I think I may have misinterpreted what you said in your email about
riscos. Still, it hasn't been compilable for months if not years, so is
neither internally nor externally maintained. In this case too it is not
plausible to suggest that uncompilable code has any users.

I'll put it back if anyone wants. But I think it would only be fair if
that person also maintained it.

No working code has been removed from Gnash in the last couple of weeks.

>   What is the point ? To reduce the line count ? Lately it seems more
> code is getting deleted from Gnash than added...

That's not a bad thing. Indeed I always try to remove more than I add,
because Gnash has too much unmaintained code.

> How come nobody works
> on new features anymore ?

Partly because changing the GUI interface can involve adapting six or
seven GUIs, changing the rendering interface involves currently 3
renderers, apparently soon to be more. With the limited time we have as
a small number of volunteers, that makes certain tasks very slow.

bwy

Use Gnash, the GNU Flash Player!
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

Benjamin Wolsey, Software Developer - http://benjaminwolsey.de