Re: [Gnash-dev] 8.9.10 in time for ubuntu 11.10 ?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] 8.9.10 in time for ubuntu 11.10 ?
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 08:22:47 -0600

On 09/29/11 03:55, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> In moving forward toward a release, do we all agree about calling
> feature freeze now ? I'd like to get an agreement on this and an
> official statement afterwards.

  Considering the Ubuntu Final freeze starts today, I don't really think
there is time to do a proper release. The Oneiric release candidate
comes out in only a week as well. There are two ways of looking at
releases. One is stabilize what we got and release that quickly, or aim
for higher quality. Whenever a Gnash release comes out it'd be in an
Ubuntu update anyway.

  I personally don't think Gnash is ready for a fast release right now.
For one thing, I'm about to go out of town today for a week, and will be
totally offline. So I wouldn't even be able to start working on a
release till I get back. There are some bugs that should probably be
fixed before a release, like for YouTube the video is often the wrong size.

  The other thing is deb & rpm snapshots from master are still available
from our repository, so anyone wanting a very recent Gnash can install
from there. So anyway, we could potentially call a feature freeze, but
we'd need to make progress on several things to do an actual release. A
feature freeze is kindof silly, as nobody is adding new features anyway,
just bug fixes.