Re: [Gnash] MP3 support

From: Daniel James
Subject: Re: [Gnash] MP3 support
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:45:35 +0000

Hi Tomas,

Personnally i'd prefer to
use ffmpeg directly for both video (videoframes and flv) and audio instead of
piping it through gstreamer

Technically that may well be the better solution, but software patents also make ffmpeg hard to distribute in complete 'free as in beer' packages.

I see the long term solution as adding Ogg Vorbis support to the Flash
specification.

I agree that that would be great, but since the flash8 introduces another
proprietary video codec (vp6), i doubt that flash will be hit by the "open
standard wawe" anytime soon.

Adobe may have a slightly different take on this subject than Macromedia had. I don't doubt that they will continue to make use of proprietary codecs, but since a royalty free and technically superior alternative to MP3 already exists, they have a clear interest in considering it.

The other potential scenario is that the free software community standardises on Vorbis as an animation soundtrack format, and then distributes its own animation players/plugins which are broadly Flash compatible, but also have 100% support for a truly open, published (vector art + sound) standard.

Cheers!

Daniel