Re: [Gnash] Urgent: An error occured while configure!!!

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Urgent: An error occured while configure!!!
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 12:12:01 -0700

Michael Carlson wrote:

Everything is working now. I have used "dos2unix" with certain files to
eliminate this imcompatibility between unix and windows (cr lf : carriage
return line feed; n : new line).

You can also add the "nt" option to mount, so under GNU/Linux it supports mixed case filenames in a FAT filesystem.

1- can i build gnash under embedded linux (MontaVista kernel version 2.4.20)
with ARM 9 processor? I'm gonna to try it.

I have a lot of experience at cross compiling to many architectures, including the ARM. Basically you currently will need a full OpenGL and SDL development environment, which I assume is supported on MontaVista's distribution. There will be other libraries you'll need, all the project dependencies are listed in the Gnash manual.

One of the project goals for Gnash is to be a good Flash player for embedded GNU/Linux (or BSD) systems. More long term, this will require writing a 2D backend to complement the OpenGL 3D one. For now you'll want a decent graphics processor with hardware acceleration support. You can run without the hardware support, but it's slow, although not unbearably so.

PS: I have tested gnash. It can play flash movie clip untill Flash MX
version. But can't play precompiled movie with flash 8. So the last question
in this email:
Is there any intiative or plan to upgrade gnash (Version 8 )  ?

Since Gnash already has rough v7 support, that's the initial focus for this first release. I don't see why v8 or greater can't be supported, the changes don't look too major. But the first priorities are getting the plugin working, and fleshing out the existing Flash playing support where needed.

Being free software, anyone that wants to add v8 support *now* is welcome to do so. We'd gladly except a patch. :-)

        - rob -