Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Questions on the update system

From: Benedikt Ahrens
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Questions on the update system
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2009 10:44:14 +0200

aurelien wrote:
> On sam, 2009-08-01 at 10:37 +0200, Benedikt Ahrens wrote:
>> aurelien wrote:

>>> Hello Ben,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help !
>>>
>>> But why the module update manager don't understand by it self that is
>>> not necessary ?
>>> Or there is an interest ?
>>>
>>> aurelien
>> Of course there is an interest: avoid security holes in your operating
>> system.
>> The update manager will update ALL the packages on your system,
>> independent of the question whether you use them or not. If you want to
>> avoid this, you must remove the unused packages or set them to "hold" in
>> the package manager. Both of these do NOT make any sense in your case.
>> Just let the system update the 2.6.24. It won't do any harm.
>>
>> ben
>
> Hello Ben,
>
> I don't want to remove the update packages mangager (certainly not).
> i just want to knows why is not able to understant that the last kernel
> must be certainly better than an older. 2.6.30.3 > 2.6.24.

I was not talking about removing the update manager anyway. As Karl
said, a newer kernel is not necessarily better, and only useful if it
supports hardware which is unsupported by the older one. So if
everything works on your machine with 2.6.24, you should use this one.
And you should definitely install all the updates for 2.6.24.