Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: PowerPC Hardware

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Re: PowerPC Hardware
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 21:56:16 +0100

Jason Self schreef:

(Continuing on just -dev, interested parties can join here or read the archive.)

Manpower seems to be the last remaining item, and without someone to
actually work on it I'm afraid that the PowerPC port may never get off
the ground.

There was some work done on PowerPC in the past ([1], [2]), but that info is probably not very useful to work on a metad version.

If you're not going to work on this yourself and nobody in our current community steps up then try to find a volunteer in other free software on PPC communities (e.g. [3]). Just asking "do you want to maintain the PPC port of a fully free distro" might be a bit overwhelming, though. Giving them a quick and dirty estimate of what's involved probably works better (not that I can tell you much about that). You can at least point them to our project pages on Savannah [4].

[1] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Builder/BuilderOnPowerPc
[2] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/PowerpcPortStatus
[3] http://penguinppc.org/
[4] http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/gnewsense