Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNewSense on Lemote YeeLoong for Absolute Beginners

From: Cato Auestad
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] gNewSense on Lemote YeeLoong for Absolute Beginners
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 15:39:24 +0200

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:
Cato Auestad schreef:

Thanks for your contributions! I have recieved Kim's version and have
migrated the changes into my main document. I will go through your version
too and merge the changes and send out an updated version. There is no doubt
that this is a rather bad way of keeping an updated version of the document
at all times so it problably would be nice to have some kind of version
control system. However, I do not know how to set up something like that and
where to do it, so I might need some help with this. If there is being put

I suggest you keep it in Bazaar with our other version controlled documentation. You can use the wiki page [1] as a starting point. If you have any questions, just ask (here or in #gnewsense-dev).

I registered on Github last night just to try it out. Looks awesome. Thought I should link to it from the gNS wiki.

up something like this, we would problably need some routines about
committing and somewhere to discuss changes.

Again, here or in #gnewsense-dev.

I am currently also working on improving the section on gNewSense and Lemote
with some general information about the project and company.

It seems this document will have some overlap with information currently on the wiki ([2], [3]). Rewriting/restructuring some of it is not necessarily a bad thing (especially for the Lemote page). But having (the same) information in two places is not desirable. Do you have a plan about what goes where and how to link the two together? Get a hold of some of the other people working on documentation [4] to get some ideas about that if necessary.

The document does include alot of the same information as the page on wiki does. The only difference is that it is written in terms that even newbies can understand. And goes into detail with things like formatting the USB drive and mounting it.

My plan was mostly to just upload a PDF to the wiki and link to it from the original article. This way more experienced GNU/Linux users can use the instructions on the current wiki and more newbies get extended help from the PDF.

yes i have been thinking about how to maintain documentation with a
number of authors. sometimes a wiki isn't the right way, but a nice
place to put the final version for a major/minor release.

you probably don't want new folks stumbling upon a draft mid-edit with
conflicting directives...
You could install Wordpress somewhere and allow a couple of authors to
login, I've found it has pretty slick revision control, a full screen
editing mode, and is now my preferred place to draft essays and blog posts.

When using Wordpress the text would be in HTML or a wiki-like markup. That's no worse than text in our own wiki, except that it would have to be kept in a separate Wordpress instance. That doesn't integrate well with the wiki and adds sysadmin overhead.

Keeping the text as TeX or Docbook in Bazaar also doesn't integrate well (currently), but doesn't need extra sysadmin effort. It's also more flexible with respect to output formats. The downside is that it has a higher entry barrier for new contributors. This can be dealt with if someone is willing to step up as a mentor and/or write some documentation about how to contribute.

I think I will try out Github first, see how it goes.

[1] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/DevelopmentTeam/Bazaar
[2] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/GNewSenseToMIPS
[3] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/Lemote
[4] http://wiki.gnewsense.org/WhoHacksWhat/WhoHacksWhat#toc9