Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Debderive

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] Debderive
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 08:44:50 +1100

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 16:47:57 +0300
Stayvoid <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Yeah, for patches it's convenient to have the file attached.
> OK.
> > .py to the file name? I'd argue against it.
> I strongly disagree.
> "The filename extension was originally used to easily determine the
> file's generic type." [1]
> Imagine a system without extensions. It will be such a mess!

This is what mime is for.
When it comes to your office documents, sure, stick an extension on
them. This is a program, an executable, the same rules don't apply.

> > The person running the software doesn't need to care (or know) what
> > its written in.
> It's usually better to provide more information.
> .py is more informative that just "a file."

Usually better? eg?

> I've looked through some projects written in Python. [2, 3, 4] All of
> them have the extension for the source code.
> [1]
> [2]
> [3]
> [4]

08:41:31 address@hidden: /tmp $ dpkg -L python-numpy |grep bin /usr/bin

User facing software does not have extensions.

(FTR, In debian this is policy 10.4, a should directive)

Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK7FOSS)