Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [bug #38001] Kernel metapackages (linux-latest-2.6)

From: Marek Buras
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] [bug #38001] Kernel metapackages (linux-latest-2.6) refer to missing Debian kernel versions
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 13:26:15 +0100

On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 08:16:53PM +1100, Karl Goetz wrote:
> Its a common chipset, hopefully you can bully it in to line :)

Unfortunatelly this driver is blacklisted, because for one of chips
(8169D) firmware loader has been introduced. I try to understand all the
patches (related to 8169) applied by Debian. Have to look deeper inside
it. Maybe comparison with recent linux-libre will give me some hints.

> Ideally all packages we change would have one (and I guess all that we
> create; though iirc we have something doco'd about that). I don't know if we
> have a template for README.gNewSense but it would probably be worth having a
> template in our wiki with a few example headings to get people on the right
> track which can be referenced by our packaging documents.

Okay. Maybe it would be useful to have list of modified packages to check? For
my system I did:
  dpkg -l | grep "gnewsense[1-9]" | awk '{print $2 " ver. " $3}'
and it gave me under 40 items (including some TeX stuff). Such a list could be
easily published somewhere (wiki?). What do you think?

--
Marek Buras
cyfr0n (at) go2.pl