Re: [Gnewsense-dev] README.gNewSense (was: [bug #38001] Kernel metapacka

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [Gnewsense-dev] README.gNewSense (was: [bug #38001] Kernel metapackages (linux-latest-2.6) refer to missing Debian kernel versions)
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2013 12:50:41 +1100

Sam Geeraerts <address@hidden> wrote:

> Op Fri, 04 Jan 2013 17:15:33 +1100
> schreef Karl Goetz <address@hidden>:
>
> > On Fri,   4 Jan 2013, 07:15:26 LHST, Sam Geeraerts
> > <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Pretty sure mine are a mix of rest and plain text too (if any of
> them
> > survive :)).
>
> True, judging by psutils. I thought you wrote something for linux-2.6
> too, but I must have lost or overlooked that, because its current
> readme is a lot more terse.

I only ever had notes, looks like the last time i pushed a branch (at least to
launchpad) it was still very rough.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kgoetz/+junk/linux-libre-squeeze/view/head:/debian/README.gNewSense

Sadly it was also a long time ago :(

> > > Sometimes someone comes along and asks what the difference between
> > > Debian and gNewSense is. We should have a wiki page that lists our
> > > changes. I was thinking we could use README.gNewSense files to
> > > generate
> >
> > interesting thought, i am wondering if pulling the info out of the
> > wili at source package build time would be a better way to do it.
>
> You're right, that avoids having to either manually update the page
> using a browser or fiddling around with XML-RPC.

Which gives us another interesting option which is to make the file wiki
markup. If we choose another format we will either have mixed formatting, need
to quite $otherformatting in the wiki and extract it or do wiki->otherformat
conversion at build time.

> > > that automatically if we use a structured format (e.g. control
> file
> >
> > or perhaps the machine readable copyright format to ease moving text
> > between those files.
>
> That's pretty much the same form with different keywords. Do you mean
> to use keywords from copyright in README.gNewSense? What kind of text
> would we want to move?

When i wrote it i was thinking of moving text into README.Debian if a
particular change was accepted upstream. Thinking about it more clearly I
remember README.Debian has no specified format so wouldn't affect our choice.

On the subject of things we might want to move from README.gNS to the copyright
file, the list of files added/removed could be one. There is talk of making
uscan read debian/copyright and automatically remove files it finds in the
removed section (sorry for being vague on details, I don't have them to hand).

thanks,
kk