Re: [gNewSense-users] What part of Debian is nonfree?

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] What part of Debian is nonfree?
Date: Sun, 8 May 2011 15:23:19 +1000

On Sat, 07 May 2011 19:53:30 +0200
address@hidden (Michał Masłowski) wrote:

> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/metad/annotate/head:/parkes/blacklist.nonfree
> lists some non-free packages from main.
>
> http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/lh/gnewsense/metad/annotate/head:/parkes/blacklist.needsclean
> lists packages which contain or recommend non-free software, but could
> be modified into free ones.
>
> http://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines
> is the canonical resource on this topic.
>
> The nonfree repository of Debian is probably also non-free.
>
> At least some packages in contrib require non-free dependencies.
> Others could be modified to not need them or be used with free
> replacements for them (e.g. with free Java implementations).

Contrib is for software that depends on items in non-free or is just a
wrapper around a downloader for non-free data.

The other big thing that would be considered non-free in debian is the
doco - eg, the wiki giving instructions on installing non-free software.
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)
http://www.kgoetz.id.au