gnomoradio-devel

Re: [gnomoradio-devel] Anyone out there? Ideas on collaborative music so

From: Jim Garrison
Subject: Re: [gnomoradio-devel] Anyone out there? Ideas on collaborative music soft
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 02:21:48 -0400

It's true.  Gnomoradio is silenced, because we have pretty much halted
development on the stable branch.

Being tied to Gnome has limited the scope of our efforts.  It has been a
great prototyping platform.  Unlike other programs, ours' requires a
multiplatform user-base to survive.  Being tied to g++ and gtkmm has
limited the platforms on which Gnomoradio will work.  Even g++ will not
compile Gnomoradio on a consistent basis because gtkmm uses templates so
heavily.  And so few applications use libxml++ that it is extremely
difficult to get critical bugs diagnosed and fixed.

In the coming weeks we will be developing a new version of Gnomoradio
based on mozilla.  To play sound, it will use gstreamer, which will
hopefully work on all platforms (and if it does not, we will simply
write xpcom components for those platforms that it does not work with,
using other audio ouput layers).  I've been hesitant to announce this
change in development plans so far, as I have been unsure of how
successful it will be based on mozilla (it has taken me months just to
become familiar with the mozilla platform).  Now, I am thoroughly
convinced that the mozilla platform is the way to go for our purposes.
Although it is not perfect in all respects, it has everything we need to
rapidly develop a new cross-platform application, and the code-base is
developed on a regular basis.  So far, we have gotten the new Gnomoradio
client to compile and function on both GNU/Linux and Mac OS X, although
it has little functionality at this point.

Today, I finished with my final exams in school, and I plan to spend a
significant part of my summer developing.  Although the school year
gives me time to maintain the existing version, I only have time to
write brand new code when school is out.  So expect Gnomoradio to take
radically different direction very soon. :)

In short, Gnomoradio is far from dead.

Jim