gnomoradio-devel

Re: [gnomoradio-devel] Anyone out there? Ideas on collaborative music so

From: Dave Fancella
Subject: Re: [gnomoradio-devel] Anyone out there? Ideas on collaborative music soft
Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 02:57:42 -0400

On Friday 06 May 2005 02:21 am, Jim Garrison wrote:
> In the coming weeks we will be developing a new version of Gnomoradio
> based on mozilla.  To play sound, it will use gstreamer, which will

Ouch.  I kinda wish you'd mentioned this before.  Mozilla's a wonderful
platform, but it can be a real pain.  I found wxPython much simpler, and what
I've been reading about pyQt is definitely convincing me to switch to that
when Qt 4 comes out GPL for Windows.  Python's core libraries have all the
xml/http stuff you could ever want, and there are rdf libraries available (I
think there's one in the core library, but don't quote me on it).  GUI is
simpler than taking off your underwear with either wxGlade or the fancy Qt
tool (I forget what it's called).  All that's hard is putting in a player,
but that's a problem I've solved and would be happy to help you guys solve it
if you chose python.  In fact, you could take my pluginmanager and the
plugins and drop them right in and have the media player already (provided
you have one of several different libraries, pygame, pymad, or pyaudiere).

Anyway, you guys will do what you want, of course.  :)

> hopefully work on all platforms (and if it does not, we will simply
> write xpcom components for those platforms that it does not work with,
> using other audio ouput layers).  I've been hesitant to announce this

I'd suggest, if you don't mind, using Mozilla's built-in system for playing
media files to start.  That way it'll use whatever the user has installed.
On Linux, that's whatever (I think it's Kaffeine on my new system).  In
Windows it'll usually be WMP.  You can bundle the ogg codec for WMP with
gnomoradio to solve that problem.  :)

Anyway, writing XPCOM components is damn near rocket science if you need C++
extensions.  I'd highly recommend you stear clear of writing a media player
and just use whatever the user's preferred player is, but if you have to
write one, PortAudio is an excellent cross-platform library for playing.
combine it with libsndfile and you can play every file under the sun except
for ogg vorbis and mp3, but you're probably already familiar with libMAD and
libvorbis enough to know they're cross-platform as well.  :)  (aside:
libsndfile was supposed to pick up ogg vorbis support, but I don't know yet
if it has.  Another option is to check out libmezzo from the Audacity
project.  It's still in development and hasn't gotten a stable release, but
it'll have all the primitives you need to build a media player)

And I realise you just said that you've just spent months learning all of
this.  I spent months learning about Mozilla only to discover I hadn't even
scratched the surface and was still several months out from prototyping my
application.  It was soon after that that I made the switch to wxPython.

> In short, Gnomoradio is far from dead.

Well good luck, and keep in mind that too many changes of direction can be
harmful to your health.  :)

Dave