Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tagging-method explicit implementation

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] tagging-method explicit implementation
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 18:46:15 -0500

MJ> On 2003-08-28 16:09:06 +0100 Robert Anderson
MJ> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Why doesn't arch's explicit tagging method do this?  Why does it work
>>> by scattering arch droppings all over the place?
>> From the implementation side, it seems like a pretty slick method to
>> me.  If you move a directory, all the corresponding moves "just work"
>> with the current method - no manual bookkeeping.  [...]
MJ>
MJ> Can someone explain to me how this works with explicit tagging,
MJ> please?  I think I'm confused, but I'm not sure.

When you move or rename the directory, its .arch-ids subdirectory moves
with it.  The ids contained within will still match their files and so tla
is able to detect that the directory was renamed and the files within were
moved.

You don't need a "tla move" to handle directory renames.

MJ> [...]
>> The really compelling thing about taglines or internal tags is that
>> source controlled file movement is then transparent to ancillary tools
>> (as well as the user himself.)
MJ>
MJ> I thought they had to be wrapped up in comments, to hide them from the
MJ> processor, but leaving them visible to the user.  Again, I may have
MJ> misunderstood and been dismissing them without reason all this time,
MJ> so I'd appreciate any illumination.

By "transparent", Robert meant that none of your tools moving and renaming
files need to understand that the file is version controlled.  It also
means that you won't need to care either.  (A copy will act strange, but
the tree-lint run by commit will whine at you.)

With taglines, you don't need to "tla move" anything.  "mv" or whatever
your GUI file manager does will do the right thing.

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above