Re: [Gnu-arch-users] using arch when commuting frequently between statio

From: Denys Duchier
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] using arch when commuting frequently between stations
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 00:12:29 +0200

Robert Anderson <address@hidden> writes:

> You can keep a "working" branch on which you can commit at any time,
> just for sync-ing purposes.
> [...]
> Then, when you want compose your working changesets into "real"
> changesets, you can do so with a series of replay --exact and commit
> commands into a "clean" branch.

You know what I would really love to see?  A task-oriented guide, with
entries like:

    - you want to do XYZ:
      + synopsis for quick lookup
      + detailed explanation for deep understanding

I saved and edited Colin Walter's IRC intro because it does a great
job at a quick synopsis of how to get things done (in his particular
situation).

The arch tutorial does a really good job of presenting concepts,
considering hypothetical situations, and explaining how arch can be
used to serve them well, but, unless you have a really good memory,
it's almost impossible to remember the details.  There are lots of
them and they are spread out through the tutorial.  This is of course
completely right for an introductory tutorial, but not for a
reference.

So, how about starting to write an Arch User Guide?  ... especially
with specialized 12 steps programs for recovering adicts of other SCM
systems :-)

Cheers,

--
Dr. Denys Duchier