Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems

From: Shlomi Fish
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Ongoing Comparison Between Version Control Systems
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 19:32:59 +0300 (IDT)

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Damien Elmes wrote:

> Shlomi Fish <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > I started composing a comparison between several prominent and accessible
> > version control systems on a feature-by-feature basis. The comparison can
> > be found here:
> >
> > http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.html
> >
> > The original XML and perl script that renders it, can be found here:
> >
> > http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/
> >
> > I am contacting you to make sure Arch is properly represented there. Note
> > that there were some things I did not there, and possibly some
> > incorrections.
>
> - aegis supports atomic commits

Added.

> - aegis's rename support is a bit esoteric (and of the 4 that support
>   them - are there any differences? the wording makes that unclear. it
>   might confuse people a bit to vary the wording on tools that have
>   the same behavior - ie, what's "fully supported" in comparison?)

Fixed.

> - how about for arch's repository permissions - "access permissions on
>   an arch repository are global, but arch makes it easy to mirror
>   projects in different locations - so it is possible to emulate
>   access to a subset of the project list pretty easily"

I'm not sure if I get you here. What I want is that different parts of the
same repository will have different permissions. So, for example, if I
have an API and several GUI Clients that use it, the maintainer of one of
the GUI clients will only have write access to that client directory,
while not able to write to the core API. Can it be emulated in Arch?

> - ability to work on only one directory: both aegis and arch don't
>   support this, I believe. Also note that arch uses the term
>   repository to refer to a set of projects, which makes the wording a
>   bit confusing.

OK.

> - on docs - I'd say the documentation was good, but in parts out of
>   date and incomplete. While I agree that the layout of the Aegis
>   docs was bad, the content was quite good - I think you're a bit
>   unfair there.

Fixed.

> - arch's command set - defined differently to what?
>
> - aegis's command set - perhaps a reminder that it's more than a VC
>   tool, and also provides scm facilities like change control
>   procedures. the complexity is frustrating if you just want vc, but
>   it offers more than that.

OK. I placed a note on it.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish

> Cheers,

Shlomi Fish        address@hidden

An apple a day will keep a doctor away. Two apples a day will keep two
doctors away.

        Falk Fish