Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Mark A. Flacy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 03:35:42 -0500

>>>>> "Charles" == Charles Duffy <address@hidden> writes:
Charles>
Charles> So here's a silly suggestion.
Charles>
Charles> Could special handling be done at the libvu/filesystem layer to
Charles> convert between file operations under a directory called .arch-ids
Charles> and single-line operations to a *file* called .arch-ids? That
Charles> keeps it out of meddling with the mkpatch/dopatch or anything else
Charles> outside of that low layer.
Charles>
Charles> Indeed, this strikes me as the sort of code that could easily be
Charles> written by someone *other* than yourself (Tom) as it doesn't
Charles> require knowledge of what parts of tla touch those files.

My silly suggestion would be for someone (especially one of the someones
who think that the single-file arch-id is a doubleplusgood idea) to make a
branch and implement the single file version of .arch-ids.

Then run some tests and *see* if the Darkly Hinted Efficiency Improvements
materialize.  Nothing convinces quite like hard data.

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above