Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive storage format comments on the size

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive storage format comments on the size
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 10:28:25 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Andrea Arcangeli <address@hidden>

    > well, rating my emails as noise isn't very gentle as you claim IMHO.

I did no such thing.

I would rate your emails as "hasty", exhibiting a tendency to write a
kind of very long stream of consciousness and hit "send" rather than:

        1) take the time to edit and make an effort to express
           yourself concisely

        2) adopt a presumption that perhaps, just perhaps, people
           who have worked on, with, or around arch for a longer time
           than you maybe have a clue or two to offer and that,
           therefore, rather than presenting yourself as "the guy who
           knows how to change the design" you might present yourself
           as "the guy trying to learn the design and explain the
           problems he's trying to solve with it"

        3) take the time to edit and make an effort to express
           yourself concisely

    >> From my point of view this is a brainstorming,

>From my point of view, it is very ineffective brainstorming and I'm
trying to encourage you to adopt techniques to do it better.  A good
rule of thumb is that you can probably accomplish more and better by
saying less, less frequently, and better expressed.

    > I don't see why you answered to the superpatchset idea with the
    > "don't send noise" email. It just doesn't make sense.

Please consider that for the audience that most matters, your
superpatch idea has been lost in the volume and unrelated content of
your posts.

If you have an idea to present, please make an effort to present it in
a manner that convinces me you have made an effort to express your
idea concisely and clearly, and made an effort to "get" how more
experienced users would solve these same problems.

    > Which is the biggest project hosted by arch right now btw?

At least one linux kernel hacker has used it since the days of larch.