[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: fixing and extending "selected commit"

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Re: fixing and extending "selected commit"
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:41:29 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003, Tom Lord wrote:

> I'm all for continuing to tweak arch to be faster and faster -- but
> there is a limit to what we can do.  The recent appearence of
> --hardlink hacks (which I _STRONGLY_ADVISE_AGAINST_USING_ in their
> current state) illustrates that we're nearing the point of trading
> robustness for speed -- a very uncomfortable choice.

I agree that it's something dangerous, but useful in good hands. You have
to specifycally choose to use it, so you have to know about the perils.

In fact it's not more dangerous than the direct filesystem access: you can
always go and delete or change files in the revision library... I know, I
know it's not the same, but nevertheless the dangers of modifying a
revision library are there now too as it's really straightforward.
Modifying patchsets in the archive is certainly much more difficult, you
need to handcraft it, accidents are not so probable.

Once I add validation code to the revision libraries, we'll be able to use
them with MORE garantees than now. Meanwhile, take it as a step by step
approach.

Pau