Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Linus
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:45:10 +0900

    Tom> Seriously, man: I generally respect you but not at all your
    Tom> take on this issue.  Change your mind, please.  The OSU
    Tom> admins do not define your job as an engineer -- not in the
    Tom> way you are interpreting them.

Heh.

Many of the people running OSU's net when I was there (1985--1992) had
been around since you could count the number of hosts on the ARPAnet
on your fingers.  They surely did and do define a network engineer's
job, and not just at OSU.

Not to mention being ichiban when it came to implementation and
service.  They switched over from coax to fiber for the campus
backbone while I was FTPing a file in 1989 or so, and didn't drop the
connection (although I might have missed a packet or three).

NB: I tend to prefer your take on how to implement multi-committer
arch repositories.  But if OSU's admins refuse to provide the services
needed to host them, it will take an awful lot to convince me that
it's anything but a difference of opinion over appropriate use of OSU
resources.