[Gnu-arch-users] arch and linux 2.7

From: Pau Aliagas
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] arch and linux 2.7
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:21:35 +0100 (CET)

Does anybody think that we should try to do something RSN to promote the
adoption of arch in the development of the linux kernel? Linux 2.7 is
about to appear and it would be great if new developers could adopt arch
as their default SCM.

We have most of the things in place and, maybe, only a little effort and
strong support from the current developers already using it would increase
the acceptance significantly.

The steps to take, a grosso modo, would be:

-stabilize the tla commands
 * finish the rename of commands (what-changed -> changes, etc).
 * update the tutorial/manual accordingly.

-add performance hooks addressed to expert users (sorry for the
 self-promotion, it's not on purpose :)
 * sparse revision libraries
 * hard-linked trees

-master archive (or repository):
 * build a master archive with the maximum detail, maybe imported from
   bkcvs using the available tools, maybe imported from available
   detailed patches. We already have one with a release/pre-release level
   of detail, but it would be nice to have the maximum detail.
 * group the tools to keep in sync with the original source (bkcvs,
   patches...)

-write a HOWTO-arch-linux-kernel:
 * explain available optimizations to speed up things
 * explain how to work with the tools to keep in sync with the original
   source (if you want to have your direct master archive).
 * add examples of people already using arch with the linux kernel.

-try to approach several developers (maybe the current kernel developers
 using arch would be the best fitted for this) to expand its use.

Almost everything is already in place, maybe writing a good how-to is the
only part missing, but it's only a matter of mixing a few emails and
voilĂ !

Too early? Don't care? Comments?

Pau