Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch and linux 2.7

From: Samium Gromoff
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] arch and linux 2.7
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 14:52:29 +0300

At Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:21:35 +0100 (CET),
Pau Aliagas wrote:

> Does anybody think that we should try to do something RSN to promote the
> adoption of arch in the development of the linux kernel? Linux 2.7 is
> about to appear and it would be great if new developers could adopt arch
> as their default SCM.

Yes that would be great.

> We have most of the things in place and, maybe, only a little effort and
> strong support from the current developers already using it would increase
> the acceptance significantly.
>
> The steps to take, a grosso modo, would be:
>
> -stabilize the tla commands
>  * finish the rename of commands (what-changed -> changes, etc).
>  * update the tutorial/manual accordingly.
>
> -add performance hooks addressed to expert users (sorry for the
>  self-promotion, it's not on purpose :)
>  * sparse revision libraries
>  * hard-linked trees

I remember somebody reporting terrible performance while committing
a single changeset to the linux repository; something like 20 minutes.

Also some more effort should be put into decent GUI tools (yeah, i`m
promoting myself here too, not on purpose as well :-)
So far it didn`t seem there is any observable interest to work on that.

> -master archive (or repository):
>  * build a master archive with the maximum detail, maybe imported from
>    bkcvs using the available tools, maybe imported from available
>    detailed patches. We already have one with a release/pre-release level
>    of detail, but it would be nice to have the maximum detail.
>  * group the tools to keep in sync with the original source (bkcvs,
>    patches...)
>
> -write a HOWTO-arch-linux-kernel:
>  * explain available optimizations to speed up things
>  * explain how to work with the tools to keep in sync with the original
>    source (if you want to have your direct master archive).
>  * add examples of people already using arch with the linux kernel.
>
> -try to approach several developers (maybe the current kernel developers
>  using arch would be the best fitted for this) to expand its use.
>
> Almost everything is already in place, maybe writing a good how-to is the
> only part missing, but it's only a matter of mixing a few emails and
> voilĂ !
>
> Too early? Don't care? Comments?

The problem i see here is that there is one major obstacle for folks to
go the arch way: Linus not using it as well.

Therefore they have to go in all sorts of trouble with the arch<->patch<->bk
patch translation process.

> Pau

regards, Samium Gromoff