Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Lisp

From: Joshua Haberman
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] OT: Lisp
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:32:50 -0800

On Wed, 2003-11-19 at 19:16, Tom Lord wrote:

>     > From: Joshua Haberman <address@hidden>
>     > It also leaves me with the impression that lisp is primarily the
>     > domain of language tinkering as opposed to being a productive
>     > tool, especially if the language is constantly morphing.  This
>     > cannot be your assessment though, or you would not be planning
>     > to use it for itla.  Why does lisp's strength as a language
>     > prototyping tool/community make it the right choice for
>     > implementing a program like itla?
>
> Who said anything about "language prototyping"?

You called lisp a "conversation about programming language and
programming environment design."

> Learn lisp.   It's good for your brain.

Enough clearly intelligent people are interested in Lisp for me to want
to know what they're excited about.  I'm not trying to make a case for
why I don't have to learn Lisp, I just want to be convinced that there's
something worthwhile I missed the first few times around.  To me Lisp is
an indie band with a group of fiercely devoted followers and whose music
is definitely esoteric but not compelling.  They get it and I don't.

I have worked with Lisp some, and I've read both books and code.  I want
to arm myself with the right mindset so that I'll actually get something
from it the next time around.

Josh