Re: [Gnu-arch-users] User-defined "macro" commands

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] User-defined "macro" commands
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2003 14:36:00 -0800

On Dec 13, 2003, at 14:25, Mark Thomas wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Dustin Sallings wrote:

        I would hope that all of the existing alias commands could be
implemented using this type of structure so there wouldn't be a need
for aliased commands in tla proper.

I don't really see how aliases (which are new names for other commands)
and `macros' (new, locally defined, commands) fit together; they seem
quite orthogonal to me.

I just don't see the point in command aliases, especially with the ability to add aliases locally. IMO, it's best to have exactly one command that performs any given task in the tla distribution. If you don't like the name of that command, you can alias it locally.

        Also, if ``tla help'' could list these macros, then it would also
automatically provide those commands in my tcsh completion.  :)

address@hidden/tla--markbt--1.1--patch-4 implements this.

Additionally you can set the help description using a directive in the
first 1k of the file that looks something like:

<punct>help-description:<blanks><description>

e.g.

# help-description: does foo to bar with baz

        Excellent.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>