Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: User-defined "macro" commands

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: User-defined "macro" commands
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 21:33:04 -0800

On Dec 14, 2003, at 12:36, James Blackwell wrote:

In lists.arch.users, Dustin wrote:

On Dec 14, 2003, at 3:50 AM, Miles Bader wrote:
You've posted this same silly rant about five times now, please give it
a (longer) rest.

        Is this really the best answer one can expect from this list?
Honestly, I made a suggestion I believe might improve tla, gave both
reasons and examples for that position, and this is all you have to
offer? Are you really incapable of saying anything more than ``No it's
not'' and insulting my ideas?

Dustin, what did you expect?

        Professionalism, respect, etc...

You've brought the subject up several times and failed to reach any sort of consensus each time. I agree with Miles that if your suggestions were
worthwile they would have found traction long ago.

Do either of you have any evidence that I've ever suggested removing the aliases ``several times'' before? In the three months I've been using arch, I did briefly mention it once as part of another thread regarding adding a new alias.

Regardless, someone has implemented new functionality that makes user-defined aliases possible. Given the justification for the existence of the remaining 6 aliases (which amounts to user preferences) and the ability for users to specify their own preferences, why does everyone have to get pissy when I ask if anyone sees anything differently given the new circumstances?

I happen to like what command aliases give us. They give us the ability
to change the name of commands yet leave the original command name
available for a period of time while the public adjusts.

We haven't been talking about deprecation, it's been user preferences. Having an alias suggests an alternate way to use a command. Deprecating a command suggests that the command should no longer be used, in favor of a new command. An alias does not give the public an opportunity to adjust.

At this point, since you've failed to reach a concensus, you have the
following choices:

I've failed to reach a consensus? So far, I've just had one guy call my suggestion a ``silly rant'' and inaccurately state that I've brought it up five times in the past and I've had another guy tell me nobody agrees with me and I should move on and let people work on ``more important issues.''

        I just don't think this is healthy community behavior.

3. You can live with it, and let people worry about more important
   issues.

Issues are issues. I don't think some should be dismissed just because there are more important ones.

4. You can continue to try and push the issue. However, if you do this,
   I'm willing to bet that you'll end up killfiled by so many people
   that your opinion on other, more important, issues will cease to
   exist.

So my options in trying to participate in this community leave me either flamed or ignored? It's hard to say which is better.

In summation, tla is not generically broken because what you want hasn't
occurred. At *best* tla is broken for you specifically.

tla works quite well for me, that doesn't mean that it can't be improved.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>