Re: [Gnu-arch-users] trying out todays debian build

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] trying out todays debian build
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 21:20:28 +0100

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 02:38:57 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> 3) I wish for a "tla diff" command that can show diffs of single files.
> I actually implemented this via changes --output=... and then going
> through that, with something similar to Mark Thomas' macro framework
> (implemented in a simple tla wrapper instead of a real modification).

file-diffs does not work for you??

> 4) wishlist item for an existing gui maybe ;-)
> I frequently find, that while I'm editing something, I need to do a
> trivial bugfix/change in another file that is unrelated to the issue at
> hand, and should go in as a separate changeset, before the current one.
> However, sometimes these unrelated changes are in multiple files. I'd
> like to see a GUI tool that displays all the changed files and allows me
> to group them by logical changes, specify log messages for each
> change-group, and commit them in an order I specify. So say I edit files
> A,B,C,D,E and the changes in {A,B,C} are unrelated to changes in {D,E},
> then I want to have a GUI to review the changes, group them, and commit
> the changes in {D,E} as a first patchset, and the rest in a second
> patchset.
> Maybe this is actually a stupid thing to do though, should I have
> another tree and do the trivial changes there?

You can restrict commit to a set of files (see help of commit command),
so if you remember which files to commit together, it's not too hard.
I often work for a while, then overview the changes using
tla changes --diffs, commit (usualy trivial) unrelated fixes first and
then commit the main work. If you are working on two bigger changes at
the same time, you are better of working on two copies.

Of course having a gui (have you looked at tlator?) would help a bit.

> 5) tla commit -- file
>    doesn't work if "file" is a new file

Yes :-(. Seems noone cared enough to fix it so far (it's known rather
long time). Until it's fixed, you can play undo tricks -- move the file
away, undo, move the file back, commit, redo and commit the rest.

> 6) tla commit creates a log file if none exists, and if you don't change
> it, then it exits saying:
> arch_make_edit_log: log file is unmodified, aborting
>
> Thats great, however, it should delete the file right after, because
> otherwise a subsequent commit will use the empty log.

It should be trivial to fix ;-).

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>