Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a decent-gnupatch detector (was: unsigned to signed

From: Jan Hudec
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] a decent-gnupatch detector (was: unsigned to signed archive conversion causing trouble?)
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 11:37:58 +0100

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 21:58:00 +0100, Andreas Fuchs wrote:
> On 2004-01-04, Andreas Fuchs <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Damn it, I'll write a test for a decent gnupatch, as well (-:
>
> There you are, guys:
>
> <URL:http://boinkor.net/arch/patch-detect.sh>
>
> First arg is the patch program to be tested; if omitted, defaults to
> "patch". Again, tested on freebsd 5.2 and 4.9 /bin/sh, bash-2.05b and
> solaris /bin/sh.

>From a brief look on the script, it does not seem to detect the main
feature of gnu diff, which is properly treating files without newline at
the end. IIRC FreeBSD uses original Lary Wall's patch, which does handle
unified patches, except for the no-newline directive. Standart unix
tools will never create such a file. Unfortunately emacs does it quite
happily.

                                                 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec
<address@hidden>