Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive-mirror not pushing cacherevs?

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive-mirror not pushing cacherevs?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 19:29:36 -0500

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 07:09:42PM -0500, James Blackwell wrote:
> A) With each revision, we annotate in the revision what the last cacherev
>    was. arch can check that cacherev against the most recent cacherev that
>    exists in the mirror. If it comes across a patch that says it has a
>    newer cacherev than is in the mirror, then perform the cacherev on the
>    mirror. However, we would have to set this up so that multiple new
>    cacherevs could be recorded in a patch.

Is it possible _append_ (in the atomic unix sense) to files using the various
remote protocols?  How about just a file in the root of the archive listing
cached revisions in the archive?

If file-append isn't possible, how about a directory in the root of the
archive (`=cachedrevs') with an entry for each cached revision (the names
could simply be the full revisions; the contents probably don't matter, but
maybe they could be a checksum or something).

This sort of thing seems like it would make it simple for archive-mirror to
update cached revisions...

> B) When the user cacherevs a patch, he also performs an essentially
>    empty commit that has for its only purpose to note the existance
>    of a new cacherev.

[Very annoying, and also doesn't solve the problem]

-Miles
--
I'm beginning to think that life is just one long Yoko Ono album; no rhyme
or reason, just a lot of incoherent shrieks and then it's over.  --Ian Wolff