Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Spaces in filenames

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Spaces in filenames
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:15:17 +0100

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:20:38AM -0500, James Blackwell wrote:
> In lists.arch.users, you wrote:
> > I need them!  And I'd rather not have to go back to CVS for my projects
> > that have them.  Is there any ETA for when Arch will allow them?
>
> I'm not aware of anybody actively working on allowing spaces in
> filenames. Though you would think that it would be really easy to add
> spaces, once you look at the code it ends up being a pretty big job. One
> of the problems is that some of tla's internal files uses space as a
> seperator. Its a difficult enough problem to solve that I can easily
> imagine arch still not handling files with spaces six months from now.

A temporary solution could be using tla wrapper which actually stores
files w/o spaces in filenames (urlencoding would do the trick).
Basically, it would need to override most commands to convert the names
back and forth so tla only see the escaped file names and the user only
see the unescaped names. The aba script (recently posted on this mailing
list) would be a good start.

Of course that would be horribly slow on big trees if there are spaces
everywhere, but that will do the trick.

--
                                                            -- ddaa