Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla file-locking (good idea or bad idea?)

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla file-locking (good idea or bad idea?)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 16:57:00 -0800

On Jan 21, 2004, at 16:11, Jeremy Shaw wrote:

(4) Have the autobuilder build on its own branch

I am still exactly not clear on how this would work. I think maybe
there is a developers branch and an autobuilder branch. Before the
autobuilder builds, it tries to merge everything from the developers
branch, into its local branch. If there is a conflict, it dies and
sends an email?

There shouldn't be a conflict unless the autobuilder is changing stuff that other people are changing.

If a developer wants to update the debian/changelog, then they have to
merge the debian/changelog from the autobuilder branch into the
developer branch, then edit and commit (in the developers branch). Of
course, if they doing this while the autobuilder is building, they
won't know they caused a problem until the next time the autobuilder
tries to compile that package?

It's not exactly clear to me how you use this changelog, but it sounds like it's used for more than one thing and it sounds like that that ends up being a process problem for you.

On one hand, you want it to mark the successful completion of a build by your autobuilder. On another, it's the kind of thing users go in and edit. Is it possible to separate this into two files/concepts?

Also, its valid (though somewhat frowned upon) to build the package by
hand and upload it. I am certain people will forget to merge the
debian/changelog from the autobuilder branch to the developer branch
before building. That won't cause any problems, except lost time. But
lost time still sucks.

This also seems like a process problem. You described why you don't want people building stuff by hand and uploading it, and are now using it as a reason to avoid this solution.

--
Dustin Sallings