Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla file-locking (good idea or bad idea?)

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla file-locking (good idea or bad idea?)
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 15:55:38 +0000

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 08:09:13AM -0600, Charles Duffy wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 06:28, Robert Collins wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 05:55, Charles Duffy wrote:
> > > Okay, here's a silly(?) suggestion:
> > >
> > > Create a "debian/changelog.d" directory. Remove debian/changelog itself
> > > from revision control and autogenerate the file by combining changelog.d
> > > entries.
> > >
> > > Suddenly, multiple changelog entries being added no longer causes a
> > > conflict.
> >
> > As long as a non-conflicting naming convention can be found for the .d
> > files.
>
> UUIDs. OTOH, if Debian's changelog format requires unique timestamps for
> each entry,

It doesn't require anything but parseable syntax. External tools might
care, but I've never *seen* one that worried about
uniqueness. dpkg-parsechangelog doesn't do anything interesting with
the timestamps (it just copies something that's in the right place and
looks like a timestamp to the output).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |