[Gnu-arch-users] Re: Problem with tla on (Free)BSD

From: Georg Seidel
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: Problem with tla on (Free)BSD
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 19:09:24 +0100

Rob Kaper wrote:
tla's configure warns about diff/diff3, but not about patch. When not
specifying gpatch as patch, this results in a non-working binary on FreeBSD
without any indication why.

Furthermore, the warning should probably be tuned a little to specify the
minimum version number: on FreeBSD 5.2, diff/diff3 *are* GNU diffutils, they
just happen to be 2.7 and not 2.8.x.

I had the same problems on OpenBSD 3.3.

Another issue involved tar: tla built but did not go through "make test" with the bsd tar. I think a configure error would be much better here.

And even after I installed the latest gnu tar and told configure via the
"--with-gnu-tar=/usr/local/bin/tar" command line option, the tests did not succeed. Only when I made sure that /usr/local/bin was listed before /usr/bin in the PATH variable, everything worked fine.

Regards,

Georg