Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implement

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] RFC: arch protocol, smart server, and tla implementation prototypes
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:50:44 +1100

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 11:14, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> This is easy; most command-response protocols like http and this one
> are simple to pipeline.
Cough. HTTP pipelining does not work at all well in practice. 'simple'
and 'works' are not necessarily related.

> This would do well enough:
>
> Commands may be pipelined, in that multiple commands can be
> transmitted before the responses to any have been received. The server
> will respond to every command independently; if any command fails,
> subsequent commands will be processed regardless.

This assumes that a failed command will not wedge anything. It doesn't
simplify the client at all (because a bad failure can tear down the
server connection - so you still need to track all the sent but not
replied to commands). It also assumes that meangingful requests can be
generated without the results from the prior. I think that as Tom has
suggested, higer level protocol commands are of more use to us.

Rob